Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Welcome Flutter a.k.a. Stripes

The kids found a caterpillar several weeks ago and put it in Tess's bug catcher.  We did this once before with 2 caterpillars who turned into moths within just a few days of each other and it was really cool.  Then we tried it AGAIN, but the caterpillar just died...  So with this one we weren't setting our hopes too high, in case it died.  But, after being in the cocoon for a very long time...(Bryan and I both thought he had died, and we both almost just threw him away)...I saw this guy sitting in the bug catcher, among all the caterpillar poop--who knew that a caterpillar would poop so much?!  

(It makes me wonder if the other guy that we did throw away last time really wasn't dead either--sometimes they sit in their dang cocoon a very long time!  Oops!)


 The kids were so excited and gentle with the butterfly.  (It couldn't fly yet, so I think it had just barely emerged from the cocoon minutes before.)  It liked to crawl on the kids' arms.


 I wanted Bree to see it, but Tess and Miles were very nervous that she would squish it.  I promised to keep her squishing fingers safely away from the butterfly that Miles named "Flutter" and Tess named "Stripes."


I told the kids that it probably needed to rest so we put it in the flower bed.  Then later, Tess came in and said that she taught it how to fly.  When I asked more about that, she said that she carried it to the top of the playhouse and threw it out.  (ummm....so much for being gentle with it!)  Poor guy.  I hope he survived the fall.  That's the last I've seen or heard from him.  It sure was fun though, while it lasted!

No comments: