Monday, February 28, 2011

The Secret to Potty-training...

Well, we've been doing the potty thing for just over a week now, and I have to say that I'm very, very impressed by how well Miles has done!  I really think that the "secret" is two things:  1-age and 2-pull-ups. 

1-We potty-trained Tess when she was only 2y3m; Miles is 3y2.5m.  Even though Tess wasn't terrible to potty-train, it did take a lot longer and a lot more diligence on my part, as far as taking her to the potty on a pretty tight schedule to avoid accidents.  Since Miles is almost a whole year older, his body seems to recognize the "need to go" cues much easier.

2-Pull-ups are wonderful inventions.  Miles still feels like they are undies; we always call them his undies.  And when he does have an accident, it's SO NICE to not have to scrub gross carpet and have stinky pee-smell laundry!  He does have accidents now and then (he's had only about 2 or 3 pee accidents in his undies--not including that 2nd day last Sunday, before I started the pull-ups--and 2 or 3 poop accidents.)  I can live with that.  I'm much calmer, knowing that I don't have to deal with the messes, so the whole process is calmer and more positive.

So, here's hoping that it'll continue to go well!

2 comments:

Arin and Troy said...

Glad to hear its going well! The thought of potty training seems so overwhelming to me right now, but the cost of 2 kids in diapers really stinks!!

Rebecca said...

Yay for Miles!! I am dreading potty training Sarah. She is one headstrong girl so it will either be really easy or really difficult. I do think age plays a big part of it, too. I want to wait until Sarah is around 3 before I even attempt the training process!!