Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Meet Pepper (or Daisy...)

On Monday afternoon a beautiful gray and black striped kitten wandered into our backyard while the kids were playing in the pool. She was very friendly and sweet and not afraid of us at all. She had no collar and was rather thin so we figured she was a stray cat (we have numerous feral cats living in the fields all around our house.) The children loved her and she seemed to love them too. I fed her some tuna fish and she slept on our back porch Monday night. Bryan and I talked it over and decided that we could keep her, as long as she was an outside cat. (I don't want a kitten in the house that could pee, poop, scratch furniture, or possibly hurt Bree. But outside would be great! And it could be a mouser for us.   Perfect!) This morning when I told Tess & Miles they were ecstatic and played with her all morning. We named her Pepper.

Then, at Park Day (on Tuesdays the moms and kids from our neighborhood meet to play at the park) I found out that our neighbor on the street behind us had gotten a black & gray kitten a while ago. Sure enough, when I called up that neighbor it WAS their kitty, Daisy, and their little six-year-old daughter was worried sick about her because she was missing. Shoot! So, my kids had their own pet for about 20 hours and they loved it.

Now they are begging us to please get them another kitten. Bryan and I will have to do some thinking about it..... Bryan says we should just get them a fish.  But you can't do this with a fish:




2 comments:

Jennifer Rasmussen said...

Outdoor cats are the greatest. We have had ours for at least 8 years now. You don't have to walk them or find a sitter for vacation and their poop disappears on it's own.

Johanna said...

We are in the process of looking for a pet too. I have good memories of Puppy and Trixie, but I don't know about the vacation sitter, poop, etc.