Saturday, February 18, 2012

Last ICL Pre-op until surgery/Superhero!

I went in for my appointment with my local optometrist today, Dr. Rees.  This was the appointment that had to be on a separate day from my big one last week (the appointment that stressed us all out because I hadn't known about it/scheduled it).  I found out why they couldn't do this on the same day as last week:  the "funnel" test (that's what I'm calling the awful water-in-my-eye-ultrasound test that they did last week) kind of makes your cornea swell up, so they couldn't do this test after the funnel test because the results would be skewed.  And they couldn't do today's test before the funnel test because they had to dilate my eyes for today's test...and the funnel test has to have un-dilated eyes.

Anyway, the test was super easy, but a little weird.  First, he dilated my eyes:
(This picture was actually taken about 7 hours AFTER my appointment and look how dilated they still are!)

Then he gave me another set of eyedrops which basically paralyze the eyes' ability to focus.  The reason he does this is that normally your incredible eyes/brain can compensate and focus on things a bit better than they actually should be able to.  For example, if someone with 20/20 vision were to put on a pair of weak glasses that aren't very different from their own vision, after a while their vision would compensate and they could probably see OK.  Or, if I look at an eye chart with one corrected eye, and I know the letters up there, then switch to my other, uncorrected eye, even though it's fuzzy, my brain will compensate and make the letters a little clearer.  So these eyedrops make it so that won't happen and when they test me they'll get a more "true" test.

It was all painless, but the weird part was after I was done and I put my glasses back on...I could see just fine far away (as is normal with my glasses) but looking at something up close was completely blurry!  To read something close, I had to actually remove my glasses and just hold the thing closer to see it with my uncorrected eyes.  Dr. Rees said that that's how it feels to have the middle-aged "short arm" syndrome that people get as they age...when they need reading glasses, but otherwise their vision is still fine.  So I guess I'll have that to look forward to in 10-15 years (Dr. Rees said 20 years, but I'm sure he was just flattering me...)

In the meantime, he gave me another pair of those sweet sunglass inserts.  Did I mention how big they are?  I modified the pair I've been wearing for the past few weeks to be a lot smaller and a tiny bit less nerdy.  So here's a picture of the new ones right out of the package:
 

And here's my other pair, still nerdy, but a tiny bit less so, don't ya think?  Remember, these are the ones that Miles tells me I look like a superhero in!  Mrs. Incredible, right?


So, now I just wait until the big day, on Thursday! Woohoo!!

No comments: