Sunday, January 24, 2010

The 5th Time's the Charm?

What a saga...In the past week our wall in our family room has been 5 different colors. I'm not joking. We have painted that wall four times in the last 6 days. I am a horrible interior decorator; I really WANT to know how to decorate my house, but I just don't. I watch HGTV like nobody's business, but I just don't think I have that interior design gene in my body. Anyway, I think we finally have a color we both like...here are photos of all 5 revisions.

#1: The original color: beige. It was fine, but we wanted something new and different.
#2: This is actually a photo of our old house, but this is the same color we tried. Our family room in Riverdale had this nice sage green on the walls and we loved it. Everyone who saw it also commented that it was nice. But that was in a windowless basement, and in our house now we have 2 big windows in the family room; so in the sunlight it looked pretty bad--very mint green.

#3: We still wanted to try green, but we went with a really dark green this time. We wanted something fairly dark to contrast with the beige walls and oak entertainment center. We liked it a little, but we were both just trying to let it "grow on us" since last Monday. Finally yesterday we decided that it was not growing on us enough...

#4: You'll notice that we only got a few brush-strokes with this one before we changed our mind. Bryan wrote B+M for Bryan+Michonne (which is sweet), but he could've simply written BM because it looked like someone smeared poo on the wall. We were going for chocolate brown, to match our dark cabinets in the kitchen but this color looked very orangey/pooey on the wall.

#5: This is the chocolate brown we were hoping for. I took this picture tonight, with the flash, but I think it looks better in the sunlight. Anyway, we decided that, like it or not, we are going to keep this color for at least 1 year.

In the meantime, anyone who wants to write a persuasive letter to HGTV, telling them how much I need a surprise home makeover, please be my guest!

5 comments:

kcooke said...

I really like the brown..earth tones are so pretty! And I think your house it cute, so your doing something good! :)
Hopefully the warm, sunny day today also helped you not feel SAD...I know I want spring to come too!

Jeff n Jill said...

I am totally impressed that you tried so many colors. I think the color you chose looks good. It is a "warm feeling" color.

Jennie Moore said...

I like the chocolate. Its more like a milk chocolate, but its nice and works with your home.

Rebecca said...

Hey it is tons better than my old blue family room color!! I really like it. I bet you have had enough painting especially after 5 times!!

Liz said...

WOW you are very ambitious! I LOVE it though!