Saturday, January 23, 2010

The New 20

Well, yesterday Bryan turned 20 years old, because I tell him that 30 is the new 20. We were going to have a dinner date, but at the last minute we cancelled our babysitter and drove down to AF to see a truck (we're in the truck-shopping business right now...still haven't found exactly what we want...we'll keep looking.) But it worked out because we got to have dinner with Gramma & Grampa!

For his birthday treat I bought him a banana cream pie from Marie Callender's....that's right, he does not like cake and never has. On the first birthday after we got married I made him a pie--the easy Jell-O pudding recipe, and he told me it was great. I made it the 2nd year too, and maybe even the 3rd, until one day I overheard Bryan's dad tease him that HE was planning to make a banana cream pie for Bryan, but he only knew how to make the Jell-O kind, until Bryan's mom talked him out of it because Bryan hated the Jell-O kind. When I overheard this, I felt sheepish indeed, so for the next 3 birthdays I tried different recipes for b.c.p. and none were very good. So finally I decided "to heck with it" and have just bought him pies from a store ever since!

Tonight I took him out to dinner at the "peanut restaurant" (Texas Roadhouse), and yes, I did make him get up in the saddle while everyone yelled YeeHaw! We love that restaurant because it's yummy, noisy, and people are encouraged to throw food on the floor--so it's perfect for little kids! During dinner I interviewed him for the customary birthday interview.

me: What's your favorite thing to do?
him: I don't know. Make something up.

favorite food: steak
favorite dessert: banana cream pie, or full-fat chocolate ice cream (he really appreciates it more than ever since we only do fat-free ice cream now.)
favorite movie: the "Bourne" movies
favorite color: doesn't matter
where he would go if he could go anywhere: back to Hawaii with me (aaahhh, sweet!)
what he would do with $1 million: pay off the house, buy a truck, put the rest in retirement (ever the practical money-manager!)

That's about it. Bryan was eating steak and ice cream during the interview, so he was a little bit pre-occupied. I can't really ever tease his about his age, since I'm older... but I do just want to wish him a very happy birthday, and tell him how much I love him. I could have never asked for a better man to share my life with.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I know I can't tease Aaron about age either. It's not fair. Oh well it sounds like you had a great time!!

Jennie Moore said...

Happy Birthday BRYAN! I should have come over with my giant bag of confetti! ;) just kidding. But really, congrats on being 20 or 30 or whatever and I hope the next ten years are as adventurous as the last!