We hiked up to Timpanogos Cave this afternoon. I had only been there once, as a kid, and Bryan & I have been talking about doing it for years now and we finally did it! (We had reservations 3 years ago, when I was pregnant with Miles, but we had to cancel because Bryan & Tess ended up getting crypto from a swimming pool, which led to much barfing and pooping, but that's a story for another day!)
Anyway, we went today and it was wonderful! The weather was not too hot and the kids did great. We had the kid carrier backpack, but Miles didn't get in it at all on the way up, and on the way down he only got in for about 10 minutes before he asked to get back out and walk! I was really impressed with both of the kiddos because it's a pretty steep hike.
Inside the cave is pretty cool (literally and figuratively!) It was so interesting to see the rock formations, and to think about how slowly they form. The guide told a story about a worker who started working there in the 50's who joked that he wouldn't retire until two certain rocks "kissed" (the rocks were called "Cinderella" and "Prince Charming" and they're only a few inches apart, one growing up and the other growing down.) Anyway, this worker would measure the distance between the two rocks once every decade. In 58 years, they only got 3/8 of an inch closer together! Needless to say, he retired. They won't "kiss" for a few hundred more years.
Bryan sneaked these pics of me with our critters on our way down. Awwww...
I had to include this picture just because this is the hugest spider I have ever seen in my life (except for tarantulas.) The finger gives you perspective. I don't like spiders very much (who does?) and I would have been much too freaked out to have my finger that close, except luckily, the spider was dead and was currently being eaten by a whole bunch of ants. (shudder...)
1 comment:
That spider is nasty. I love that Hike, your kids are such troopers!
P.S. I recently had my first ride on a four wheeler: they are FUN.
Post a Comment