Sunday, September 26, 2010

Zoo-wall-ogy

When we got the "big bed" for Miles, we decided that we needed to redo some of his wall decor.  I thought his new bedspread had a bit of an animal print look to it, so I decided to decorate with some wild animals.  I looked for framed prints, but couldn't find stuff I liked, stuff that would cover a large enough wall area, or stuff that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.  So, I remembered a trick that I learned from an old friend about putting fabric on the wall as decor.  I have done it in Tess's room and it worked really well, but the shapes were pretty small; the animals I had in mind for Miles' room needed to be BIG.  But I went ahead and gave it a shot with animals in fun patterned prints...it turned out great!  Here are the animals I did:
Mr. Monkey
 The King--Lion
 The Grrrraffe  (that's how Miles pronounces it, with a hard 'g' as in goat.)
 The Turtle and the Magonfly (again, Miles' pronunciation)
 The dangling snake...
 As you can see from this picture the animals are quite big.  Miles is really enjoying it so far; he even says "good night" to his animal friends before bed.  It's pretty fun.

6 comments:

Shenille said...

Those are SUPER cute! What a great idea!

Johanna said...

It turned out so cute! I love the tree and the snake.

Liz said...

What a great idea! I love it. It's a nice alternative to vinyl.

Arizona Manwarings said...

Those are amazing you have to email me how you did that Beamanwaring@gmail.com

kelliecooke said...

Awesome!

bamatamb said...

A few people have asked be how I did this...so here's the info:

....all you do is cut out your fabric in the shape you want and you just use spray starch (like the kind you use when ironing dress shirts). I literally just used some tape to temporarily hold the fabric where I wanted it on the wall, and then I just sprayed the fabric and pressed it down on the wall; you just kind
of spread the starch around with your fingertips. The fabric needs to be pretty saturated, so spray the starch generously. Afterward, I just took a baby wipe and wiped up any drips of spray that dripped
down the wall. When you're tired of the shapes, they peel right off
and don't leave any marks (if they do leave marks you can just wipe
them off with a baby wipe, or a damp rag.)! It's awesome!

The only tricky part was figuring out how to get the shapes so
big....I found clip art pictures of the animals and printed them out
on regular paper, then cut them out. Then the tricky part came....we taped our big fabric piece on the wall, and then hung our little paper shape
in front of it (from the ceiling fan) so that it cast a shadow on the fabric. Then I used chalk to trace out the shadow onto the fabric.
It's kind of like making a silhouette. If you can get an
overhead projector, then it would be a million times easier--you'd
just lay your cut out piece of paper onto the overhead projector, to make your shape on the fabric.

You don't need to worry about ironing the fabric or anything, because when you spray
the starch on, it soaks it and then you just flatten it down with your fingers anyway, so don't waste your time ironing.

Please tell me if you do this! I would love to see how it turns out.
If these instructions don't make sense, be sure to let me know.

Good luck!
:) Michonne