Last week I was super sick in bed on Tuesday. I got a call from my dad that Grampa J was in the hospital (he actually went in last Saturday, but nobody thought that it was anything too serious). Dad said that things were not looking very good and that I ought to come down and see him. I was surprised to say the least. He's had a few health problems over the last few years, but again, I didn't think he was too sick. I was nervous about driving down and feeling so sick again on Wednesday, but I dropped Tess & Miles off at school and headed out to Tooele with Bree. I actually felt completely fine all day, which was a relief. When I got there I realized that things were much more serious than I had thought; Grampa was on super high doses of oxygen and still having trouble breathing, and he also had serious infections, but 3 different strong antibiotics weren't helping at all. The decision was made to take him home on hospice care so that he could relax and finally be able to rest. In the hospital he was conscious and talking and visiting with everyone pretty well (we could only have 2 people in at a time since he was in ICU). I think he knew that things were not good, because as soon as he was alone with me, he made me promise to look out for Gramma, and keep her busy when he was gone. I found out later that he had done that with all the family members individually too. After he was home that afternoon, he was able to sleep for the first time in a long time and he slept straight for about 12 hours and then quietly passed away with his family around him. I had gone home by then (it was about 4:00 am on Thursday when he passed away), but thankfully Bryan had come down with Tess & Miles in the afternoon on Wednesday so we all got to see him. (Incidentally, Thursday morning after I got the call, I was extremely sick and in bed all day again. I am so grateful that I was able to feel better for the day on Wednesday so that I could be with my family! It really was a blessing.)
Grampa's funeral was yesterday and it was really wonderful. Sunday night's viewing was also so great; so nice to see lots of family and friends that I hadn't seen in a long time. My grampa touched so many lives as a teacher at Tooele High; many many people came through the line and said that he was their favorite teacher. He was a character, literally, as he would sing and act out funny stories for his students, and especially for the grandkids. He loved telling stories and just talking in general. He had a wealth of knowledge about all sorts of subjects. An avid reader--of fiction, non-fiction, and current events--with an excellent memory, he was the go-to guy to talk to about anything. He could strike up a great conversation with anyone, whether it was an old friend or someone he just met.
Grampa J will surely be missed. I love you Gramps!
| (This photo was on his 85th birthday, 2 years ago) |
No comments:
Post a Comment